Wednesday, August 4, 2010

8th Dec '08 - Catholic Kindness

740am - Wandered Krakow and got bored yesterday. But found Empik. Great bookshop with a coffee shop. Bought Haruki Murakami's After Dark, which I enjoyed reading over two large lattes... whiling the time away.

Two young women sat on the same counter, a little down and opposite me. Finally I plucked up the courage to speak a little with them. One had sensuous lips and wanted to engage with me. She spoke good English. They were, perhaps, young nineteen year olds.

Later, I went to Kitsch to look for some night-life. It was dingy, liberal, air of the night type of place. But few people. All these bars and clubs but little activity, other than I'm told at the weekend. Some lesbians fondled each other and danced, between bouts on the sofa. A couple pairs of girls danced, heterosexual looking and classy. A few guys sat or stood.

Walking back to my bed I was met by some Norwegian guys looking for somewhere to go. I took them to Carpe Diem Klub and we danced a little. Krakow has some great and confident young dancing folk. But I ended going back to bed feeling despondent.


330pm - Hitched a ride from a woman called Annetta, who I'd met at breakfast, and a guy called Paul, to the Salt mines. A nice day. Good to be in the company of wholesome people. The old time religion in me does spark a connection with "godly" people. They were devout Catholics.

At the salt mines the English speaking tour guide was incredibly adept in his role. After the tour of two and a half hours and another hour tour of the museum I sat outside and he came out to smoke and we chatted a little. Pleasant and decent chap.

Annetta and Paul dropped me off to get a minibus back to Krakow, as they were going to see a shrine.

"What more happiness can a man have than to be healthy, debt free, and with a clear conscience?" - Adam Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment