Tuesday, March 2, 2010

5th Dec '08 - Hiker's Haiku

530am-

Got some kip and write now in darkness, with my blue mini torch, feeling coldified. Me thinks not much walking today. Yesterday the acme was reached of my altitude seeking view lust. Got up Krapowy in the double legged cable-car, along with the throngs (and thongs), up to 1900 metres plus, and walked out across the snow, laughing at the sight of the mountain peaks, snow covered range of the Tatras, looking out to Slovakia, seeking mount Ryssy, the highest in Poland at 2400 metres but not sure for definite which one it was, and getting up on a rock and then down in a wind-shielded groove looking out alone, me and the sun reflecting snow and jet crossed sky. I did some standing and staring and wandering and went into the restaurant for coffee and french fries. Two hours up there and then down to Kuznice. From there I went along the track I'd done my first day here but in the opposite direction. I planned to go further but the aching and fatigue grew until I thought the two hours hard pounding, feet and foot hold picking walk was enough.

I'm now in a hostel. Two guys are in my dorm. One speaks good English and arrived about 9pm last night, a little drunk and talking of wanting to climb Giewont and of his art... he wants to draw the scene of a fish swimming up river, jumping, but exchange them for bottles, refuse etc. He said he's here for the winter.


Haiku by Natsume Soseki

Morning chill
Evening chill
Human warmth

Morning chill
Evening chill
Alone I travel

No sake
No poem
Silence of the moon!

Small amount of sake
Remains in the bottle:
Chill of the night.

Family and world left behind,
No-mindedness myself: nevertheless
This severe blizzard!



1140am-


Cappuccino Massimo

Gosh, it's hard
Easing my way through Cappuccino Massimo
Double Handled
Kerouac's gloom mingling and dancing with mine
Swirls on the eyes from the written word
Outside's cold
I'm lonely
My sick body may not want the booze medecine

No comments:

Post a Comment